New Jersey News
Paterson police shooting kills robbery suspect
PATERSON, N.J. (WABC) -- A home invasion suspect allegedly armed with a knife was shot and killed by a northern New Jersey police officer who was trying to apprehend him.
The shooting occurred shortly before 3 a.m. Saturday in Paterson, when the city officer encountered a motorist who fit the description of a man wanted in connection with the home invasion. A struggle ensued, and the officer fired one round which hit the suspect.
The man was taken to a hospital, where he died a short time later. The officer also was taken to the hospital for an evaluation, but further details on his condition have not been disclosed.
The shooting is under investigation by the prosecutor's office, which is standard policy in police-involved shootings. Prosecutors said the investigation is ongoing, but they declined to provide further details.
The incident marked the third time in the past week that a Paterson police officer was involved in a shooting.
On New Year's morning, an off-duty officer shot and wounded a suspect three times outside a bar after the man allegedly fired several shots at him, authorities. And on Dec. 29, officers responding to reports of shots fired soon found themselves being shot at by a suspect who was captured and charged with attempted murder.
new jersey news, new jersey, paterson, police shooting, new jersey news
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Liam Neeson to tour stables in NYC carriage horse debate
- Stage collapses at California high school; dozens hurt 2 min ago
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams