New Jersey News
Teens charged with killing homeless man in Hoboken
HOBOKEN, N.J. (WABC) -- Three teenage boys have been charged with murder in connection with the death of a homeless man in Hoboken.
Prosecutors say the three followed 46-year old Ralph Eric Santiago as he walked on 3rd Street on September 10th when one of the juveniles threw a punch at Santiago's head in what detectives now believe was a game of "knockout."
Santiago then collapsed onto an iron fence wedging his neck between two iron fence posts, where he died.
Two of the suspects are 13 years old and the other is 14. All are from Jersey City.
Detectives believe they travelled on the Light Rail from Jersey City to Hoboken.
All three have been remanded to the Hudson County Youth Detention Center.
The ex-wife of the victim revealed information about his life. "Eric and I met in High School," Tracy said.
Tracy wants us to just use her first name, and she wants everyone to know who Eric Santiago was.
"He was very well loved. And although he is always identified as the homeless man from Hoboken, he wasn't homeless very long," Tracy said.
He was for about a year now.
High School sweethearts, they got married and had a baby.
Eric was a promising gymnast and break-dancer.
But one day back in 1986 while visiting a friend, there was an unnerving, ironic, coincidence.
"Somebody came from behind they grabbed him and started to slam his head against the floor," Tracy said.
The beating was so bad that Eric slipped into a coma.
He would eventually wake up, but he would never be the same. He had brain damage.
They divorced, but over the years, Tracy kept in touch and made sure Eric was part of their son's life.
"My husband and I always brought them up on weekends. Him, his mother, and his sister," Tracy said.
But a year ago Eric lost his apartment, and recently, there was the vicious attack.
This time he would not escape death.
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey news
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 26 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend 11 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City 37 min ago
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest 39 min ago
- L train signal problems in Brooklyn
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
11 min ago