New Jersey News
Christie signs gun-control measure into law
TRENTON, N.J. -- Gov. Chris Christie on Friday signed a law requiring law enforcement agencies to give the state information about guns that are seized or found abandoned, one of several gun control bills he has signed since last month while vetoing more sweeping measures.
Christie said in a statement that the law will help keep weapons away from criminals. Previously, he was less effusive, saying it was redundant because it mostly codified existing practice but was nonetheless "worthwhile."
His approval comes after the Legislature reworked parts of the bill following Christie's previous conditional veto of it.
The governor said that provisions calling for public reports to be produced about some of the information would have violated a federal law banning making such information public.
Last month, Christie vetoed two bigger pieces of gun legislation. One would have banned .50-caliber rifles and the other would have overhauled the state's gun permit law.
With Friday's bill signing, Christie pointed out that the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence had already ranked New Jersey's gun laws, which include an assault weapons ban and a seven-day waiting period to buy guns, as the second-toughest in the nation.
The state's lawmakers have passed several new gun-control measures since last year's massacre of 20 schoolchildren in Newtown, Conn.
new jersey news, new jersey, chris christie, gun control, new jersey news
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 38 min ago
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 2 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
2 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby...
21 min ago