New Jersey News
Gas explosion, fire level house in Old Bridge
OLD BRIDGE (WABC) -- A contractor hit the wrong line and sparked a gas explosion in Old Bridge, New Jersey, officials said.
South Old bridge fire department got the call at 11:15 for a gas leak in the residence on Grace Drive in Old Bridge.
Firefighters arrived two minutes later to find the house in flames.
Officials said a private contractor was working on the house and accidentally hit a gas line. The contractor then immediately evacuated the home.
Firefighters rescued an 80 year old woman, who was the only other person inside the house at the time.
About a minute later the house blew up, officials said. The house was blown off the foundation, knocking down the front, back and side walls.
Fortunately, no one was injured.
40 firefighters responded from five different towns.
Authorities said the home will be torn down tonight.
The homeowner and his family, who were not home at the time, will stay with friends and neighbors.
new jersey, old bridge, explosion, fire, new jersey news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 10 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 23 min ago
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets 21 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
10 min ago