New Jersey News
Gas explosion, fire level house in Old Bridge
OLD BRIDGE (WABC) -- A contractor hit the wrong line and sparked a gas explosion in Old Bridge, New Jersey, officials said.
South Old bridge fire department got the call at 11:15 for a gas leak in the residence on Grace Drive in Old Bridge.
Firefighters arrived two minutes later to find the house in flames.
Officials said a private contractor was working on the house and accidentally hit a gas line. The contractor then immediately evacuated the home.
Firefighters rescued an 80 year old woman, who was the only other person inside the house at the time.
About a minute later the house blew up, officials said. The house was blown off the foundation, knocking down the front, back and side walls.
Fortunately, no one was injured.
40 firefighters responded from five different towns.
Authorities said the home will be torn down tonight.
The homeowner and his family, who were not home at the time, will stay with friends and neighbors.
new jersey, old bridge, explosion, fire, new jersey news
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 55 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 32 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Another delayed GM recall detailed by new documents
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
55 min ago