New Jersey News
Man hurt in police-involved shooting in Hackensack
HACKENSACK -- Authorities say a man is in critical condition after he was wounded in a running gun battle with Hackensack police.
The Bergen County Prosecutor's Office says 22-year-old Robert Leonardis opened fire on a patrol car with a bullet going through the windshield, narrowly missing an officer, at the corner of Newman Street and Russell Place early Monday.
Officials say two officers returned fire and two other officers joined the foot pursuit.
All four officers fired, striking Leonardis numerous times. He was taken to Hackensack University medical Center.
Authorities say a .45-caliber handgun was recovered at the scene.
new jersey, hackensack, police shooting, new jersey news
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 59 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train 21 min ago
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Another delayed GM recall detailed by new documents 41 min ago
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines