New Jersey News
Man hurt in police-involved shooting in Hackensack
HACKENSACK -- Authorities say a man is in critical condition after he was wounded in a running gun battle with Hackensack police.
The Bergen County Prosecutor's Office says 22-year-old Robert Leonardis opened fire on a patrol car with a bullet going through the windshield, narrowly missing an officer, at the corner of Newman Street and Russell Place early Monday.
Officials say two officers returned fire and two other officers joined the foot pursuit.
All four officers fired, striking Leonardis numerous times. He was taken to Hackensack University medical Center.
Authorities say a .45-caliber handgun was recovered at the scene.
new jersey, hackensack, police shooting, new jersey news
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville 23 min ago
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field 34 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos