New Jersey News
Man hurt in police-involved shooting in Hackensack
HACKENSACK -- Authorities say a man is in critical condition after he was wounded in a running gun battle with Hackensack police.
The Bergen County Prosecutor's Office says 22-year-old Robert Leonardis opened fire on a patrol car with a bullet going through the windshield, narrowly missing an officer, at the corner of Newman Street and Russell Place early Monday.
Officials say two officers returned fire and two other officers joined the foot pursuit.
All four officers fired, striking Leonardis numerous times. He was taken to Hackensack University medical Center.
Authorities say a .45-caliber handgun was recovered at the scene.
new jersey, hackensack, police shooting, new jersey news
- Snow alert issued for New York City
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Obamas to attend Tuesday service for Nelson Mandela
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded
- Yankees open to Brett Gardner trade
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Eric Gelinas' OT goal helps Devils beat Rangers
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia