New Jersey News
Carbon monoxide leak forces evacuation of Carlstadt hotel
CARLSTADT (WABC) -- A New Jersey hotel was evacuated after high levels of carbon monoxide spread through the building late Thursday.
About 100 guests were told to leave the Holiday Inn Express on Paterson Plank Road in Carlstadt just after 10:30 p.m.
They were put on buses and taken to other hotels.
One woman had a slight headache, a symptom of carbon monoxide exposure, and taken to the hospital for treatment.
Firefighters arrived to multiple carbon monoxide detectors going off on multiple floors.
The carbon monoxide rate was 180 parts per million. Rates of 100 ppm or greater can be dangerous to human health.
The leak was traced to a blockage in the venting system for the pool heater.
The blockage was removed and the hotel was ventilated to bring down the carbon monoxide levels.
Firefighters said guests of the hotel were cold and upset, but most were not injured.
new jersey, carbon monoxide, carlstadt, new jersey news
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 33 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
33 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos