New Jersey News
3-alarm fire tears through 3 homes in Paterson
PATERSON (WABC) -- A fast-moving third-alarm fire tore through one home and spread to two others in New Jersey early Tuesday.
Flames shot through the roof of the home on Rosa Parks Boulevard in Paterson just after 3:30 a.m.
The fire started in an unoccupied home before it jumped to two neighboring structures.
Firefighters were pouring huge amounts of water on the fire in a purely exterior attack, and the center building, which was occupied, appears to have suffered extensive damage.
Constance Washington, who lived in the middle building, described the chaotic scene she woke up to.
"My brother woke us up, yelling, 'The house is on fire!'" she said. "And when he said the house was on fire, I looked at the dining room, and all I could see was that house on the corner is on fire. And everything from the kitchen, you could see all the fire coming in."
All the residents - five adults, three children and two dogs - were able to escape the flames safely, and no injuries were reported.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, but it has been deemed suspicious because it erupted in the occupied home.
new jersey, paterson, fire, new jersey news
- Firefighters struggle to contain NJ forest fires 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Man brutalizes women with hammer in Astoria apartment
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers
- 9-year-old dies in fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green