New Jersey News
Funeral held for 6-year-old Brandon Holt, shot by 4-year-old neighbor
TOMS RIVER, N.J. (WABC) -- Funeral services were held Saturday in New Jersey to mourn a 6-year-old boy police say was shot dead by his 4-year-old neighbor.
Dozens of mourners filled St. Joseph's Church in Toms River to remember Brandon Holt.
The Asbury Park Press (http://on.app.com/16UAe2G) reports green ribbons were tied around nearby trees - representing Brandon's favorite color - and many mourners wore green ribbons or green attire to honor the boy's memory.
Family, friends and neighbors of Brandon gathered in Toms River Friday night at a wake and vigil to grieve together.
Brandon was playing with his neighbor on Monday, when police say the younger boy got a rifle from his family's home and accidentally shot Brandon in the head.
Brandon's uncle says his family is still looking for answers.
"Nobody knows what really happened. A gun did take my nephew's life, but why? Why did he get it? You know, we don't know," said Randel Holt, the victim's uncle.
Brandon's family has donated his organs.
Investigators are gathering evidence to find out how the younger boy got the gun.
The Atlantic County Prosecutor's Office took over the case because the parents of the 4-year-old have relatives who worked in law enforcement in Ocean County.
new jersey, toms river, accidental death, shooting, child shot, child killed, new jersey news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide