New Jersey News
Man arrested in robbery of ex-Newark Mayor Sharpe James
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- Police in Newark have arrested the man suspected of robbing former Mayor Sharpe James, who was choked and mugged Thursday afternoon.
He's gone from mayor, to felon, to crime victim.
"Someone grabbed me, and I thought someone was grabbing me like horseplay, and I started moving, and I turned around, and a young man that I didn't know actually grabbed the cross that I had on my chain, and yanked it and ran up the street," said Sharpe James, former Newark mayor.
Thursday afternoon around 4 p.m., former mayor Sharpe James was waiting in his car on Bergen Street in Newark.
That's when someone came up behind him, put the 78 year old in a choke hold, and snatched his gold chain.
"I would have given him the chain, I wanted the cross, that was more important to me than the chain," James said.
The cross was very important to him. It's a replacement for the one that was confiscated when he went to prison.
The five-term mayor was convicted of corruption in 2008 and served two years.
"It became sentimental to me, the cross especially. I had gone through hard times in my life and I now wore the cross," James said.
20-year-old Alhafeez Williams has been arrested and charged with robbery.
Police say, several hours after the incident Williams turned himself in.
The irony is that investigators told James that during a search of the suspect's grandfather's home, they saw a picture of him shaking hands with Williams' grandfather.
Apparently his grandfather was a big supporter when James was mayor.
Williams is being held on a $50,000 bond, with no 10% option.
Sharpe James was Newark's 35th mayor, and also served as a state senator.
James was not injured in the attack.
new jersey, newark, robbery, new jersey news, darla miles
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen