New Jersey News
Woman, 85, thwarts pigeon scam targeting elderly in New Jersey
LEONIA (WABC) -- Police in Leonia, New Jersey, say an 85-year-old woman was sharp enough to dodge a scam and then help police track down the scammers.
Authorities arrested Norman Gladney and Cheryl Lewis, both of the Bronx, who allegedly already had a second elderly woman in their car.
Police say the two were trying to get the woman's bank information for what's called a pigeon scam.
They had a bank bag filled with stacks of money, with $100 bills on each end and $1 bills in between.
Gladney and Lewis are charged with conspiracy to commit theft by deception.
new jersey, scams, new jersey news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 49 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife 59 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 51 min ago
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Granderson hits sac fly to lift Mets over Braves in 14 37 min ago
- Anna, Beltran key Yankees' 5-1, 12-inning win 28 min ago
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
49 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos