New Jersey News
Woman, 85, thwarts pigeon scam targeting elderly in New Jersey
LEONIA (WABC) -- Police in Leonia, New Jersey, say an 85-year-old woman was sharp enough to dodge a scam and then help police track down the scammers.
Authorities arrested Norman Gladney and Cheryl Lewis, both of the Bronx, who allegedly already had a second elderly woman in their car.
Police say the two were trying to get the woman's bank information for what's called a pigeon scam.
They had a bank bag filled with stacks of money, with $100 bills on each end and $1 bills in between.
Gladney and Lewis are charged with conspiracy to commit theft by deception.
new jersey, scams, new jersey news
- Snow alert issued for New York City
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Obamas to attend Tuesday service for Nelson Mandela
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded
- Yankees open to Brett Gardner trade
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Eric Gelinas' OT goal helps Devils beat Rangers
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia