New Jersey News
Woman, 85, thwarts pigeon scam targeting elderly in New Jersey
LEONIA (WABC) -- Police in Leonia, New Jersey, say an 85-year-old woman was sharp enough to dodge a scam and then help police track down the scammers.
Authorities arrested Norman Gladney and Cheryl Lewis, both of the Bronx, who allegedly already had a second elderly woman in their car.
Police say the two were trying to get the woman's bank information for what's called a pigeon scam.
They had a bank bag filled with stacks of money, with $100 bills on each end and $1 bills in between.
Gladney and Lewis are charged with conspiracy to commit theft by deception.
new jersey, scams, new jersey news
- Fire tears through Carlstadt post office
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Harlem robber caught on camera using ATM
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan hospital attack
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Photos: On World's Fair's 50th a new national...
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos