New Jersey News
Mother of twins found dead, infants left in crib
PLAINFIELD, N.J. (WABC) -- The mother of twin 3-month-old girls was found dead inside her Plainfield apartment.
The twin girls are just 3 months old and lived in Plainfield with their mother and three siblings.
The police say they were called here to gain entry to the apartment by a relative, but according to witnesses, the father of two of the children, not the twins, but two older boys, had already kicked in the door.
"He picks them up every day so you know, he took them for a couple of days, but when he tried to bring them back and she never answered her phone. He kept trying to get in touch with her, and then he finally went and kicked the door in," said Tomika Vaughan, a neighbor.
Inside the second floor apartment, the father found 39-year-old Alice Jackson dead in her bed, and her 3 month old twin daughters in a crib, quiet, wet, and dehydrated.
When police arrived, the babies were brought outside, as Neemah Williams looked on.
"They looked fine, their faces were swollen a little bit, but they weren't crying that much," said Neemah Williams, a neighbor.
In the neighborhood, everyone is talking about Jackson and what will come of her children.
"She was a nice lady, real friendly, she worked, you know, took real good care of her kids, very good care of them, it's really sad," Vaughan said.
"They going to grow up wondering where's their mom, and where's the dad," Williams said.
An autopsy was conducted on Jackson but her cause of death is not yet known. Police say it appears to be from natural causes.
The infants are recovering at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick. They are listed in critical but stable condition.
The father of the twins is from Baltimore and is now by the babies' side at the hospital.
Family members became concerned and asked police to check on Jackson after they hadn't heard from her since March 29th.
new jersey, plainfield, baby, body found, new jersey news, jim dolan
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 34 min ago
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
34 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos