New Jersey News
Fundraiser in honor of slain Newark IHOP manager
NEWARK (WABC) -- The owners of an IHOP restaurant in Newark held a fundraiser in honor of the store manager who was murdered on the job March 23rd.
Papa Khaly Noiyae, originally from Senegal, was shot and killed while trying to break up a dispute in the restaurant's parking lot.
30 percent of the proceeds will be donated to the Emergency Room at the UMDNJ Hospital across the street from the restaurant, where Noiyae and two other men wounded in the shooting were brought that night.
In addition, some of the money raised will be contributed to a community organization dedicated to fighting crime and violence in the neighborhood.
Police are still searching for the killer.
They released a grainy surveillance image of the shooter on Monday evening.
The incident happened just after 3 a.m. in the parking lot of the restaurant on Bergen Street, sending people running for cover.
Sources say the shooting stemmed from a fight that happened inside the restaurant.
Crime Stoppers of Essex County is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the capture of the suspect.
new jersey, newark, murder, new jersey news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide 7 min ago