New Jersey News
Dog headed for Phoenix ends up in Ireland
NEWARK (WABC) -- A dog named Hendrix ended up far from its Phoenix home on the other side of the Atlanti
Edith Albach from Staten Island said she thought she put the 6-year-old dog on a flight from Newark to Phoenix last night. Her husband and daughter were waiting in Phoenix to get Hendrix, but the dog was not on the flight.
Edith got a call from the airline a few minutes before the plane landed to let her know the dog was on a plane to Shannon, Ireland instead.
The dog arrived safely in Ireland on Friday morning.
Edith says the airline could not explain how it happened, but offered her a refund.
She says she has not received an apology, and wants one. After all, it's not just a suitcase of clothes that went missing, she says. It was their dog.
A spokesperson for United Airlines said they are reviewing the circumstances and they do regret what happened.
"We have apologized and offered a full refund. We want to make this right. We regret that he was boarded on the wrong aircraft. We are doing everything we can to take steps to make sure this doesn't happen again," Mary Clark, spokeswoman for United, said. "This is not typical of the service we provide to the more than 100,000 pets that travel with us every year. United is committed to make travel safe and comfortable for pets that travel with us."
The Pet Safe staff is working to get Hendrix to Phoenix as originally planned, she said.
ONLINE: United Pet Safe Program
new jersey, dog, air travel, ireland, staten island, new jersey news
- Firefighters struggle to contain NJ forest fires
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Man brutalizes women with hammer in Astoria apartment
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers
- 9-year-old dies in fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green