New Jersey News
Settlement in New Jersey red-light traffic cameras suit
NEWARK -- Motorists ticketed by New Jersey's red-light cameras last year moved closer to getting some of their money back Wednesday, with the filing of an amended settlement agreement in a lawsuit filed against the company that installs and operates the cameras.
Under terms of the settlement, Arizona-based American Traffic Solutions would set up a $4.2 million fund to pay plaintiffs. The company is not admitting any wrongdoing or liability. The class-action lawsuit filed last year claims the lights did not take into account average road speeds and did not give drivers ample time to hit the brakes.
Anyone who was ticketed before August 2012 in any of 18 towns and paid the fine would be eligible to receive money back. The 18 lead plaintiffs who joined the original lawsuit would be eligible for compensation up to $200, while countless others likely would receive far less.
The towns are Brick, Deptford, East Brunswick, East Windsor, Jersey City, Lawrence, Linden, Glassboro, Gloucester Township, Monroe, Palisades Park, Piscataway, Pohatcong, Rahway, Roselle Park, Union, Wayne and Woodbridge.
The settlement removes the towns as defendants in the lawsuit.
A judge must approve the agreement. ATS also agreed to make an educational video about the cameras and how they operate available on township websites and on social media.
In addition, a postcard notice will be sent to violators who qualify for compensation, giving them 90 days to submit their claim.
new jersey, newark, new jersey news
- LIRR suspended between Huntington, Hicksville 36 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt 23 min ago
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 33 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NYC home invasion robbery suspects caught on camera 6 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures 56 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn;...
23 min ago