New Jersey News
Sammy Hagar won't redo beach bar after Hurricane Sandy
ATLANTIC CITY -- Right now, Sammy Hagar is looking for a new place to open a beach bar.
The former Van Halen singer, who now fronts the band Chickenfoot, says on his website he couldn't reach a deal with the casino company that owns a bar that had been known as Sammy's Beach Bar for the past three years.
"Following months of ongoing discussions, Sammy Hagar has regretfully been unable to come to terms with Caesars Entertainment on the rebuilding of the Sammy Beach Bar & Grill at Bally's Atlantic City Hotel and Casino," the rocker wrote on his web site. "Since opening in May 2010, the restaurant had been a popular boardwalk destination until it was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy."
Katie Dougherty, a spokeswoman for Caesars Entertainment, said the bar was damaged by the Oct. 29 storm but was not destroyed. It will be open in May under the name Bally's Beach Bar.
"While Bally's has enjoyed the partnership with Sammy Hagar, the decision to reopen this coming May as Bally's Beach Bar, is purely financial in nature," she said.
Hagar, whose nickname is the Red Rocker, was a regular visitor to Atlantic City, stopping in at the bar when he played one of the casinos or Boardwalk Hall.
Last May, he stopped there to donate $10,000 to St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Church for its food pantry, which feeds some of Atlantic City's poor. While there, he also couldn't resist needling the current lineup of Van Halen, featuring the man he replaced, David Lee Roth, which had just postponed dozens of shows without giving a reason.
"I predicted this was going to happen a lot sooner, Hagar said at the time. "I lost money on that bet!"
Hagar also operates beach-themed bars in locations including Maui; at airports in Las Vegas and New York; St. Louis; and Roseville, Calif.
new jersey, atlantic city, superstorm sandy, new jersey news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 23 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at N.J. shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- Metro-North to require sleep apnea evaluation
- One dead, another rescued in Long Island fire
- Not so fast! Palcohol not approved by federal government
- Passengers step up to help elderly man in bus brawl
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Brooklyn hit and run suspect identified by police
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
23 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos