New Jersey News
Elizabeth police shooting leaves suspect wounded
ELIZABETH, N.J. -- Authorities are investigating a police shooting that left a man critically wounded in northern New Jersey.
Elizabeth police say Sharif Tankard of Roselle was among a group of men who were confronted by two detectives inside the Oakwood Plaza housing complex late Friday.
The confrontation soon became physical and Tankard allegedly disarmed one of the detectives.
Tankard was then shot in both legs by one of the detectives. Tankard was taken to a hospital, where he was listed in critical but stable condition.
Tankard faces charges of aggravated assault on police, disarming a law enforcement officer and threatening an officer with the use of that weapon. His bail was set at $500,000 and it was not known Sunday of he has retained an attorney.
The shooting remains under investigation.
new jersey, elizabeth, police shooting, new jersey news
- Large explosion, fire in East Harlem; at least 16 hurt 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live! 46 min ago
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 12 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25