New Jersey News
Elizabeth police shooting leaves suspect wounded
ELIZABETH, N.J. -- Authorities are investigating a police shooting that left a man critically wounded in northern New Jersey.
Elizabeth police say Sharif Tankard of Roselle was among a group of men who were confronted by two detectives inside the Oakwood Plaza housing complex late Friday.
The confrontation soon became physical and Tankard allegedly disarmed one of the detectives.
Tankard was then shot in both legs by one of the detectives. Tankard was taken to a hospital, where he was listed in critical but stable condition.
Tankard faces charges of aggravated assault on police, disarming a law enforcement officer and threatening an officer with the use of that weapon. His bail was set at $500,000 and it was not known Sunday of he has retained an attorney.
The shooting remains under investigation.
new jersey, elizabeth, police shooting, new jersey news
- Firefighters struggle to contain NJ forest fires
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Man brutalizes women with hammer in Astoria apartment
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers
- 9-year-old dies in fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green