New Jersey News
Elizabeth police shooting leaves suspect wounded
ELIZABETH, N.J. -- Authorities are investigating a police shooting that left a man critically wounded in northern New Jersey.
Elizabeth police say Sharif Tankard of Roselle was among a group of men who were confronted by two detectives inside the Oakwood Plaza housing complex late Friday.
The confrontation soon became physical and Tankard allegedly disarmed one of the detectives.
Tankard was then shot in both legs by one of the detectives. Tankard was taken to a hospital, where he was listed in critical but stable condition.
Tankard faces charges of aggravated assault on police, disarming a law enforcement officer and threatening an officer with the use of that weapon. His bail was set at $500,000 and it was not known Sunday of he has retained an attorney.
The shooting remains under investigation.
new jersey, elizabeth, police shooting, new jersey news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen