New Jersey News
Elizabeth police shooting leaves suspect wounded
ELIZABETH, N.J. -- Authorities are investigating a police shooting that left a man critically wounded in northern New Jersey.
Elizabeth police say Sharif Tankard of Roselle was among a group of men who were confronted by two detectives inside the Oakwood Plaza housing complex late Friday.
The confrontation soon became physical and Tankard allegedly disarmed one of the detectives.
Tankard was then shot in both legs by one of the detectives. Tankard was taken to a hospital, where he was listed in critical but stable condition.
Tankard faces charges of aggravated assault on police, disarming a law enforcement officer and threatening an officer with the use of that weapon. His bail was set at $500,000 and it was not known Sunday of he has retained an attorney.
The shooting remains under investigation.
new jersey, elizabeth, police shooting, new jersey news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 22 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 30 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- Geno Smith leads Jets to victory over Raiders
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos