New Jersey News
Elizabeth police shooting leaves suspect wounded
ELIZABETH, N.J. -- Authorities are investigating a police shooting that left a man critically wounded in northern New Jersey.
Elizabeth police say Sharif Tankard of Roselle was among a group of men who were confronted by two detectives inside the Oakwood Plaza housing complex late Friday.
The confrontation soon became physical and Tankard allegedly disarmed one of the detectives.
Tankard was then shot in both legs by one of the detectives. Tankard was taken to a hospital, where he was listed in critical but stable condition.
Tankard faces charges of aggravated assault on police, disarming a law enforcement officer and threatening an officer with the use of that weapon. His bail was set at $500,000 and it was not known Sunday of he has retained an attorney.
The shooting remains under investigation.
new jersey, elizabeth, police shooting, new jersey news
- Man hacked to death in apparent terror attack
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb?
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Oklahoma tornado damage toll mounting
- Roosevelt Island Peace Officers accused of abusing power
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale
- Jose Canseco investigated for Las Vegas sex assault
- Hats get women ejected from mall
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos