New Jersey News
Jersey shore is coming back to life
POINT PLEASANT BEACH, N.J. (WABC) -- It may not feel like it, but summer is right around the corner and beach communities hit hard by Superstorm Sandy are in a race against the clock to repair all the damage.
The storm slammed into Point Pleasant Beach on the Jersey Shore, but people there think the area will be good as new by the time the weather gets warm.
The aquarium is open!
The arcade is open!
"With all the rebuilding, I think it's going to be better than what is was before," said Keith Gonzalez, a New Brunswick resident.
The sweet shop is open and filled with salt water taffy and chocolate again.
"We are still here, coming back on line, but we still have areas that need repairs," said Toby Wolf, of Jenkinson's Boardwalk.
Up and down the Jersey Shore, crews are slicing through wood to be laid as planks, as boardwalks take shape again.
Visitors are now able to stroll, stop and stare at the progress and they are grateful.
"I've been coming since I was 6 years old and now I bring my kids," said Judy DeClement, a Princeton resident.
Lots of repairs are done but there are more to go.
They still plan to be open by Easter.
"Yes, there was devastation, but all the boardwalks are working so hard to be ready by summer 2013," Wolf said.
Jenkinson's crews did in two weeks what normally takes double that: they dismantled the rides and stored them before Sandy landed.
They are out again, good as new, and will welcome riders in 22 days.
The Jersey Shore is coming back!
new jersey, superstorm sandy, jersey shore, point pleasant, new jersey news, toni yates
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind 19 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 8 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 30 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
19 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos