New Jersey News
Airport worker robbed, killed in Newark
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- A hard working young man was shot and killed on his way home from working at Newark International Airport.
"I don't any problems with people I just want the people who did this to get caught," the victim's father said.
That plea came from the victim's grieving father who is desperately hoping police will catch his son's murderer.
Bruce Santos' father asked Eyewitness News not to identify him and his family, he's worried because his son's killer is still on the loose.
He says his son never gave him any problems.
"All he does is go to work and come home. Go to work and come home," his father said.
The 26-year-old was heading home from his job as a baggage handler at Newark International Airport.
On his way to the home he shared with his parents and brothers, police believe he was confronted by a robber who shot and killed him near Lincoln Park just down the street from City Hall.
Prosecutors say a passerby found Him unresponsive around 10 Tuesday night.
"He didn't come home. They tried to rob him. They tried to rob him. All I want please is justice," his father said.
Family members say Santiago worked around the clock but he had a passion for writing poetry.
They are words that they now say echo in their hearts and minds.
"If there's anyone who saw anything, please, I know someone saw something, if something happened to them. That's what I want," his father said.
If you have any information you are asked to call the Essex County Prosecutor's Office at 877-847-7432.
The Essex County Sheriff's Office is now offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to an arrest in this case.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, murder, robbery, shooting, new jersey news, carolina leid
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash