New Jersey News
Top 10 NJ beaches competition put on hold
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- A popular contest to name New Jersey's best beach is taking a timeout this summer.
The top 10 beaches contest will not have voting this year that pits one town against another for bragging rights.
Rather, the New Jersey Sea Grant Consortium says the program will focus on cooperation among regional tourism leaders as the shore recovers from Superstorm Sandy.
The contest began in 2008 as a way to generate pride in and stewardship of New Jersey's beaches. People voted online for their favorite shore spot, and the results were unveiled at a pre-Memorial Day news conference.
This year's voting will involve a calendar photo contest. People will be encouraged to share their favorite shore memories at www.toptenbeaches.org starting Wednesday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, jersey shore, best beaches, new jersey news
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville 18 min ago
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field 29 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos