New Jersey News
Top 10 NJ beaches competition put on hold
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- A popular contest to name New Jersey's best beach is taking a timeout this summer.
The top 10 beaches contest will not have voting this year that pits one town against another for bragging rights.
Rather, the New Jersey Sea Grant Consortium says the program will focus on cooperation among regional tourism leaders as the shore recovers from Superstorm Sandy.
The contest began in 2008 as a way to generate pride in and stewardship of New Jersey's beaches. People voted online for their favorite shore spot, and the results were unveiled at a pre-Memorial Day news conference.
This year's voting will involve a calendar photo contest. People will be encouraged to share their favorite shore memories at www.toptenbeaches.org starting Wednesday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, jersey shore, best beaches, new jersey news
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush teen's shooting 1 min ago
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 5 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Suspense builds for season finale of 'Scandal'
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
5 min ago