New Jersey News
Father, son dead; daughter critical in Flanders fire
FLANDERS (WABC) -- Two family members were killed and a third hospitalized in critical conditions after flames ripped through a home in New Jersey early Monday.
The fire broke out at an apartment on Main Street in Flanders just after 4 a.m. One neighbor says it's a divided house where a number of children live.
Officials say 52-year-old Hesham Moustafa and his 7-year-old son were both killed. A 9-year-old girl believed to be the Moustafa's daughter is in critical condition.
Other residents, including the mother and an older sister, escaped the house.
The investigating is indicating there was no power to the building, and the family was using space heaters.
Officials determined that the cause of the fire was altered wiring on a space heater.
Firefighters had to battle the cold and wind in addition to the flames.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fire, new jersey news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 48 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 53 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens 50 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect 22 min ago
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack 14 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 9 min ago
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
48 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos