New Jersey News
Father, son dead; daughter critical in Flanders fire
FLANDERS (WABC) -- Two family members were killed and a third hospitalized in critical conditions after flames ripped through a home in New Jersey early Monday.
The fire broke out at an apartment on Main Street in Flanders just after 4 a.m. One neighbor says it's a divided house where a number of children live.
Officials say 52-year-old Hesham Moustafa and his 7-year-old son were both killed. A 9-year-old girl believed to be the Moustafa's daughter is in critical condition.
Other residents, including the mother and an older sister, escaped the house.
The investigating is indicating there was no power to the building, and the family was using space heaters.
Officials determined that the cause of the fire was altered wiring on a space heater.
Firefighters had to battle the cold and wind in addition to the flames.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fire, new jersey news
- Snow alert issued for New York City
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Obamas to attend Tuesday service for Nelson Mandela
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded
- Yankees open to Brett Gardner trade
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Eric Gelinas' OT goal helps Devils beat Rangers
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia