New Jersey News
Father, son dead; daughter critical in Flanders fire
FLANDERS (WABC) -- Two family members were killed and a third hospitalized in critical conditions after flames ripped through a home in New Jersey early Monday.
The fire broke out at an apartment on Main Street in Flanders just after 4 a.m. One neighbor says it's a divided house where a number of children live.
Officials say 52-year-old Hesham Moustafa and his 7-year-old son were both killed. A 9-year-old girl believed to be the Moustafa's daughter is in critical condition.
Other residents, including the mother and an older sister, escaped the house.
The investigating is indicating there was no power to the building, and the family was using space heaters.
Officials determined that the cause of the fire was altered wiring on a space heater.
Firefighters had to battle the cold and wind in addition to the flames.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fire, new jersey news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos