New Jersey News
3 dead in New Jersey house fire
ORANGE (WABC) -- Three men are dead after a house fire early Sunday morning in Orange, New Jersey.
Fire investigators spent the morning combing through the burned-out shell of 374 Reock Street. The three-story home, now sitting empty with no heat or water, was where 4 men took refuge overnight with disastrous results. The broke out shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday, and an alert female Orange police officer jumped into action.
The firefighters were unable to save the three men, who were trapped inside the house.
Police say that the men were apparently squatters.
They died of burns and smoke inhalation.
The fire was reported by Orange police officer Ada Vasquez, who was on routine patrol in the area when she smelled smoke.
Vasquez and fellow officer Anthony Holmes broke down the front door and rescued one man. But the fire's intense flames and heat prevented them from rescuing the others.
It's believed that a heating device ignited the fire.
The names of the victims have not yet been released.
CLICK HERE TO SEE PHOTOS FROM SCENE ---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, orange, fire death, new jersey news, lisa colagrossi
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 8 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly...
11 min ago