New Jersey News
3 dead in New Jersey house fire
ORANGE (WABC) -- Three men are dead after a house fire early Sunday morning in Orange, New Jersey.
Fire investigators spent the morning combing through the burned-out shell of 374 Reock Street. The three-story home, now sitting empty with no heat or water, was where 4 men took refuge overnight with disastrous results. The broke out shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday, and an alert female Orange police officer jumped into action.
The firefighters were unable to save the three men, who were trapped inside the house.
Police say that the men were apparently squatters.
They died of burns and smoke inhalation.
The fire was reported by Orange police officer Ada Vasquez, who was on routine patrol in the area when she smelled smoke.
Vasquez and fellow officer Anthony Holmes broke down the front door and rescued one man. But the fire's intense flames and heat prevented them from rescuing the others.
It's believed that a heating device ignited the fire.
The names of the victims have not yet been released.
CLICK HERE TO SEE PHOTOS FROM SCENE ---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, orange, fire death, new jersey news, lisa colagrossi
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado 41 min ago
- Where is Charles Butler?
- Investigation follows police shooting of student 15 min ago
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Rally held after West Village hate crime murder
- Worker injured after forklift swallowed by sinkhole
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Photos: Lee Goldberg explains Oklahoma's tornado... 41 min ago
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- 51 people confirmed dead in Okla. tornado
4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Muggy
5 min ago
- Final four dance in 'Dancing with the...
13 min ago