New Jersey News
Scam triggers New Jersey bank robbery response
FAIR LAWN -- Police say the victim of a scam triggered a report of a bank robbery in northern New Jersey.
The man received a call from someone demanding $800 for the release of his brother-in-law on Thursday.
Fair Lawn Police Sgt. Richard Schultz says the man drove to Chase Bank to withdraw money. Schultz says the man passed several notes to a teller with the intention of informing the bank about the ransom.
The teller triggered the alarm.
Police took the man in custody as he walked out of the bank. He was released after they determined he was the victim of a scam. His brother-in-law was never in danger.
Schultz says Fair Lawn police received two reports of similar scam attempts later that day.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fair lawn, bank robbery, new jersey news
- AccuWeather Alert: Storm, flash flood warnings 47 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Suspect in custody in Queens bus shooting
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy 18 min ago
- Threat prompts lockdown at Saddle Brook schools
- UK: London terror attack suspects had been probed
- West Point soldier charged with videotaping women
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- Photos: Accuweather forecast in pictures
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Photos: Top Pictures of the Week
- AccuWeather Alert: Storm, flash flood...
47 min ago
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a...
26 min ago