New Jersey News
Booker helps freezing dog, how you can help too
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- Eyewitness News reporter Toni Yates and her crew spotted a dog left out in the cold in Newark Thursday evening.
She and her crew stopped back several times to see if the dog had been taken inside, but it had not and they noticed that the dog was shivering in the cold.
Booker saw the tweets and responded to the scene where he found the dog shaking in the cold outside.
"This is brutal weather, this dog is shaking really bad and you just can't leave your dogs out here on a day like this and go away and expect them to be ok. Hypothermia on any animal including a human animal will set in pretty quickly. So this is very sad, you can just feel the dog shaking pretty badly," Mayor Cory Booker said.
Mayor Booker loaded the dog into a police car and they called the dog's owners to tell them that it was unacceptable to leave the dog outside in the cold for so long in freezing weather.
The owner was reached on the phone and told the mayor and police that he was a half hour away and was going to bring the dog inside.
He said that he was in Queens and had no idea that "Cha Cha" the dog had gotten outside. It was all a big mistake and he was grateful the mayor saved his dog as she is a new mom and is taking care of her litter of puppies.
For information on how you can help an animal in need please contact:
Associated Humane Societies
24-Hour phone number - 908-850-7082
124 Evergreen Ave.
Newark, NJ 07114-2133
Phone: (973) 824-7080
Fax: (973) 824-2720
P.O. Box 43
Forked River, NJ 08731-0043
Phone: (609) 693-1900
Fax: (609) 693-8404
CLICK HERE for organizations to report animal abuse.
Follow Toni Yates on Twitter @ToniYates7
Follow Darla Miles on Twitter @DarlaMiles7
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, cory booker, dog, cold, cold weather, new jersey news, toni yates
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville 24 min ago
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field 35 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos