New Jersey News
Cops: Man who torched cat stabs woman in store
MIDDLETOWN, N.J. (WABC) -- A New Jersey man with a dark past is charged with stabbing a woman a dozen times inside a Bed, Bath and Beyond store on Thursday.
Tyrik Haynes, 19, is accused of repeatedly stabbing a 29-year-old Keansburg woman inside the store on Route 35 in Middletown.
The victim, whose name was not released, is hospitalized in critical but stable condition. It is believed Haynes chose his victim at random.
According to police, the woman was pushing a child in a stroller at the time of the stabbing. The child was not harmed.
The incident, as well as the suspect's demeanor, left witnesses troubled and frightened.
"He ran towards the back of the store and just picked a customer and just stabbed her," witness Anne Patl said. "And she had a baby in her hands, and that's all I heard. He stabbed her and just walked out. He didn't run. He walked out of the store like nothing happened."
Middletown Police talked to customers and employees and examined evidence from the crime scene that left residents stunned.
"It's a great town," resident Michael Mascolo said. "You don't hear things like this. It's shocking. You normally don't here this stuff in Middletown."
Police picked up the suspect at a nearby apartment complex.
Haynes is charged with one count each of first degree attempted murder, third degree endangering, third degree possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and fourth degree unlawful possession of a weapon.
He is also charged in an animal cruelty case, accused of setting a cat on fire last month. That cat survived.
Haynes is held on a million dollars bail.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, stabbing, middletown, new jersey news, carolina leid
- Metro North train collision to affect service all week 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Humid week ahead, with showers
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Suspect in critical condition after NJ police shooting
- Tornadoes slam Midwest; 1 dead in Oklahoma
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello as probe continues
- Tipping dispute leads to assault outside LI nightclub 37 min ago
- Rally planned after West Village hate crime murder
- Winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Florida city anxious to learn Powerball jackpot winner
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Metro North train collision to affect...
18 min ago