New Jersey News
Working New Jersey teacher celebrates 99th birthday
NORTH PLAINFIELD (WABC) -- A teacher in North Plainfield, New Jersey, celebrated a very special birthday on Sunday.
Agnes Zhelesnik, or Granny, as her students affectionately call her, turned 99 years old.
The school held a special celebration in her honor.
And if you need proof that it's never too late in life to try something new, Granny didn't begin teaching until she was in her 80s.
She is widely regarded as the oldest working teacher in America, teaching prop building and costume making at the Sundance School.
Hundreds attended the celebration, including many of her former students. They presented her with a quilt, a cake and 99 red balloons.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new jersey news
- Bratton joins Sharpton at rally in Harlem
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- Funeral for one of victims of Metro-North derailment
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary 16 min ago
- Wintry blast moves through much of country, heads East
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary 17 min ago