New Jersey News
Working New Jersey teacher celebrates 99th birthday
NORTH PLAINFIELD (WABC) -- A teacher in North Plainfield, New Jersey, celebrated a very special birthday on Sunday.
Agnes Zhelesnik, or Granny, as her students affectionately call her, turned 99 years old.
The school held a special celebration in her honor.
And if you need proof that it's never too late in life to try something new, Granny didn't begin teaching until she was in her 80s.
She is widely regarded as the oldest working teacher in America, teaching prop building and costume making at the Sundance School.
Hundreds attended the celebration, including many of her former students. They presented her with a quilt, a cake and 99 red balloons.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new jersey news
- Islam at center of 9/11 Memorial criticism
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Gunfire in Central Islip after drug deal goes bad
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos