New Jersey News
Working New Jersey teacher celebrates 99th birthday
NORTH PLAINFIELD (WABC) -- A teacher in North Plainfield, New Jersey, celebrated a very special birthday on Sunday.
Agnes Zhelesnik, or Granny, as her students affectionately call her, turned 99 years old.
The school held a special celebration in her honor.
And if you need proof that it's never too late in life to try something new, Granny didn't begin teaching until she was in her 80s.
She is widely regarded as the oldest working teacher in America, teaching prop building and costume making at the Sundance School.
Hundreds attended the celebration, including many of her former students. They presented her with a quilt, a cake and 99 red balloons.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new jersey news
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87 48 min ago
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 15 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog 7 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 6 min ago
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen