New Jersey News
Working New Jersey teacher celebrates 99th birthday
NORTH PLAINFIELD (WABC) -- A teacher in North Plainfield, New Jersey, celebrated a very special birthday on Sunday.
Agnes Zhelesnik, or Granny, as her students affectionately call her, turned 99 years old.
The school held a special celebration in her honor.
And if you need proof that it's never too late in life to try something new, Granny didn't begin teaching until she was in her 80s.
She is widely regarded as the oldest working teacher in America, teaching prop building and costume making at the Sundance School.
Hundreds attended the celebration, including many of her former students. They presented her with a quilt, a cake and 99 red balloons.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new jersey news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014