New Jersey News
Family-owned restaurant reopens after Sandy
MOONACHIE, N.J. (WABC) -- It was the grand opening for the family-owned restaurant in Moonachie after Superstorm Sandy.
It took more than 42 years for the Bazzarelli family to build their word of mouth reputation of mouth watering food and superior service in Moonachie.
But in just minutes, all of that hard work at the Bazzarelli Restaurant and Pizzeria was taken away by Superstorm Sandy.
"It was as if a giant came in and starting smashing and breaking the water the filth. Cars were floating in the parking lot. It was total devastation. I've never seen anything like it in my life," said Rosangela Bazzarelli, owner of the restaurant.
Waist-high water meant everything had to be fixed; furniture, stoves, drywall, raking up a $300,000 bill.
"How do you give up? This is not a building, this is part of our family, this is who we are. So we had to rebuild," Bazzarelli said.
Just when it felt like too much money and too much work the owner says their customers are people they really consider family and friends stood right behind them.
You see, the Bazzarellis did not have flood insurance.
So they had to dip into their savings, eating up a staggering $200,000 of their own.
Customers donated money and staff sacrificed their time.
That generosity led to Monday's grand reopening celebration.
Senator Bob Menendez and Lieutenant Governor Kim Guadagno said they'll keep fighting for much needed government aid for hard hit small businesses.
"This is why we have to fight in Washington because you should have to go through your life savings in order to open a business that clearly needs to be open in this community," Guadagno said.
Customers say they've been coming here for decades because it doesn't just feel like home it is home.
"The food is delicious. The hospitality is great. And they're very friendly," said Angie Gardner, a customer.
"They're loyal customers. The feeling is mutual they love us and we love them," said Nella Bosi, a waitress.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, hurricane sandy, new jersey news, carolina leid
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 49 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 27 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus 37 min ago
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl 45 min ago
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn 38 min ago
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia 3 min ago
- Backpacks left at Boaston marathon finish...
52 min ago
- Community rallies around 13-year-old victim...
39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
27 min ago
- Party bus goes very awry on Long Island
38 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos