New Jersey News
Family-owned restaurant reopens after Sandy
MOONACHIE, N.J. (WABC) -- It was the grand opening for the family-owned restaurant in Moonachie after Superstorm Sandy.
It took more than 42 years for the Bazzarelli family to build their word of mouth reputation of mouth watering food and superior service in Moonachie.
But in just minutes, all of that hard work at the Bazzarelli Restaurant and Pizzeria was taken away by Superstorm Sandy.
"It was as if a giant came in and starting smashing and breaking the water the filth. Cars were floating in the parking lot. It was total devastation. I've never seen anything like it in my life," said Rosangela Bazzarelli, owner of the restaurant.
Waist-high water meant everything had to be fixed; furniture, stoves, drywall, raking up a $300,000 bill.
"How do you give up? This is not a building, this is part of our family, this is who we are. So we had to rebuild," Bazzarelli said.
Just when it felt like too much money and too much work the owner says their customers are people they really consider family and friends stood right behind them.
You see, the Bazzarellis did not have flood insurance.
So they had to dip into their savings, eating up a staggering $200,000 of their own.
Customers donated money and staff sacrificed their time.
That generosity led to Monday's grand reopening celebration.
Senator Bob Menendez and Lieutenant Governor Kim Guadagno said they'll keep fighting for much needed government aid for hard hit small businesses.
"This is why we have to fight in Washington because you should have to go through your life savings in order to open a business that clearly needs to be open in this community," Guadagno said.
Customers say they've been coming here for decades because it doesn't just feel like home it is home.
"The food is delicious. The hospitality is great. And they're very friendly," said Angie Gardner, a customer.
"They're loyal customers. The feeling is mutual they love us and we love them," said Nella Bosi, a waitress.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, hurricane sandy, new jersey news, carolina leid
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 7 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 24 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate 14 min ago
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
7 min ago