New Jersey News
Parishioners from Elizabeth church stage vocal demonstration
ELIZABETH (WABC) -- Parishioners from a New Jersey church staged a vocal demonstration on Sunday to say they are being left out in the cold after a popular decision by the Archdiocese of Newark to remove their parish priests.
Many people say they are upset by the lack of communication.
"We want the bishops to hear the voice of the faithful," said parishioner Theresa.
About 100 people marched in Newark hoping that the turnout spoke volumes to the Archdiocese about their love for Saint Mary of the Assumption Roman Catholic Church. Just two days before Christmas, parishioners found out four priests including the monsignor were being forced out by Newark's Archbishop.
"We find that the way they decided to remove our priest was a lack of respect for them, and a lack of respect for our parish," said Alejandra Aramejo.
The parish is also worried that this is the first step to closing down Elizabeth's oldest church, which opened its doors in 1884. However, an Archdiocese spokesperson says that is not the case, and that the parish is simply just going in another direction.
Parishioners want to remind leaders of the good work that is done at the church every day.
"The welcoming, the care and the compassion that comes out of the priests and the people, it's so visible in the community. I want to be supportive," said Pat Franks.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, elizabeth, new jersey news, carolina leid
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Harlem robber caught on camera using ATM
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos