New Jersey News
Parishioners from Elizabeth church stage vocal demonstration
ELIZABETH (WABC) -- Parishioners from a New Jersey church staged a vocal demonstration on Sunday to say they are being left out in the cold after a popular decision by the Archdiocese of Newark to remove their parish priests.
Many people say they are upset by the lack of communication.
"We want the bishops to hear the voice of the faithful," said parishioner Theresa.
About 100 people marched in Newark hoping that the turnout spoke volumes to the Archdiocese about their love for Saint Mary of the Assumption Roman Catholic Church. Just two days before Christmas, parishioners found out four priests including the monsignor were being forced out by Newark's Archbishop.
"We find that the way they decided to remove our priest was a lack of respect for them, and a lack of respect for our parish," said Alejandra Aramejo.
The parish is also worried that this is the first step to closing down Elizabeth's oldest church, which opened its doors in 1884. However, an Archdiocese spokesperson says that is not the case, and that the parish is simply just going in another direction.
Parishioners want to remind leaders of the good work that is done at the church every day.
"The welcoming, the care and the compassion that comes out of the priests and the people, it's so visible in the community. I want to be supportive," said Pat Franks.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, elizabeth, new jersey news, carolina leid
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus 46 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span 46 min ago
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera 17 min ago
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych hospital