New Jersey News
Parishioners from Elizabeth church stage vocal demonstration
ELIZABETH (WABC) -- Parishioners from a New Jersey church staged a vocal demonstration on Sunday to say they are being left out in the cold after a popular decision by the Archdiocese of Newark to remove their parish priests.
Many people say they are upset by the lack of communication.
"We want the bishops to hear the voice of the faithful," said parishioner Theresa.
About 100 people marched in Newark hoping that the turnout spoke volumes to the Archdiocese about their love for Saint Mary of the Assumption Roman Catholic Church. Just two days before Christmas, parishioners found out four priests including the monsignor were being forced out by Newark's Archbishop.
"We find that the way they decided to remove our priest was a lack of respect for them, and a lack of respect for our parish," said Alejandra Aramejo.
The parish is also worried that this is the first step to closing down Elizabeth's oldest church, which opened its doors in 1884. However, an Archdiocese spokesperson says that is not the case, and that the parish is simply just going in another direction.
Parishioners want to remind leaders of the good work that is done at the church every day.
"The welcoming, the care and the compassion that comes out of the priests and the people, it's so visible in the community. I want to be supportive," said Pat Franks.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, elizabeth, new jersey news, carolina leid
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- 17-year-old brutally beaten with bat at gas station
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn.
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse