New Jersey News
Man struck and killed by freight train in New Jersey
HAWTHORNE, N.J. (WABC) -- A man was struck and killed by a freight train early Saturday morning in Hawthorne, New Jersey.
The engineer of a New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway train told police he believed his southbound train had struck a pedestrain in the area of the Wagaraw Road trestle.
Police responding to the scene found the body of a man in his 50's lying alongside the railroad tracks.
Investigators are trying to determine the victim's identity.
He was wearing a dark colored fur-rimmed hooded coat, eyeglasses, and sneakers, and had a glass eye.
If anyone believes they know the man's identity, they are urged to call Hawthorne Police at 862-881-9640.
Authorities are not sure why the man was on the tracks.
They say he may have been a homeless person living in the area, but the investigation is ongoing.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, train accident, passaic county, new jersey news
- LIRR suspended between Huntington, Hicksville 35 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 59 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt 22 min ago
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 32 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NYC home invasion robbery suspects caught on camera 5 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures 55 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn;...
22 min ago