New Jersey News
Man struck and killed by freight train in New Jersey
HAWTHORNE, N.J. (WABC) -- A man was struck and killed by a freight train early Saturday morning in Hawthorne, New Jersey.
The engineer of a New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway train told police he believed his southbound train had struck a pedestrain in the area of the Wagaraw Road trestle.
Police responding to the scene found the body of a man in his 50's lying alongside the railroad tracks.
Investigators are trying to determine the victim's identity.
He was wearing a dark colored fur-rimmed hooded coat, eyeglasses, and sneakers, and had a glass eye.
If anyone believes they know the man's identity, they are urged to call Hawthorne Police at 862-881-9640.
Authorities are not sure why the man was on the tracks.
They say he may have been a homeless person living in the area, but the investigation is ongoing.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, train accident, passaic county, new jersey news
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect identified in attempted baby abduction
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Sea Isle fire destroys 3 beachfront homes 59 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault 5 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Yonkers family outraged after dog mauled by pit bull 54 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
50 min ago