New Jersey News
3 plead guilty in fatal beating of immigrant
SUMMIT, N.J. -- Three men have pleaded guilty to aggravated manslaughter in the videotaped, fatal beating of a Salvadoran immigrant in an upscale New Jersey community.
Union County Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow says 21-year-old Nigel Dumas of Morristown, 20-year-old Khayri Williams-Clark and 19-year-old Hakean Fitzgerald, both of Summit, entered their pleas Wednesday.
Prosecutors say robbery was the motive in the July 2010 attack on Abelino Mazariego in Summit. The 47-year-old father of four died days later.
Authorities say a fourth teen, who was not charged, videotaped the attack. Police were alerted to the crime after a friend of the victim's family told them she had seen the video and they alerted police.
Fitzgerald faces 18 years in prison and both Dumas and Williams-Clark face 15 years in prison at their March 8 sentencing.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, assault, immigrants, new jersey news
- Metro North: Conn. train outage expected for days
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, 21 injured
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- Video: Who will win the Indianapolis 500?
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers