New Jersey News
3 plead guilty in fatal beating of immigrant
SUMMIT, N.J. -- Three men have pleaded guilty to aggravated manslaughter in the videotaped, fatal beating of a Salvadoran immigrant in an upscale New Jersey community.
Union County Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow says 21-year-old Nigel Dumas of Morristown, 20-year-old Khayri Williams-Clark and 19-year-old Hakean Fitzgerald, both of Summit, entered their pleas Wednesday.
Prosecutors say robbery was the motive in the July 2010 attack on Abelino Mazariego in Summit. The 47-year-old father of four died days later.
Authorities say a fourth teen, who was not charged, videotaped the attack. Police were alerted to the crime after a friend of the victim's family told them she had seen the video and they alerted police.
Fitzgerald faces 18 years in prison and both Dumas and Williams-Clark face 15 years in prison at their March 8 sentencing.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, assault, immigrants, new jersey news
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 54 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 31 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Another delayed GM recall detailed by new documents
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
54 min ago