New Jersey News
After Newtown, Marlboro schools get armed guards
MARLBORO, N.J. (WABC) -- In the wake of the Newtown shooting, one community in New Jersey is taking the added step of adding armed guards to all its schools.
Starting Wednesday, students at the high school, elementary school and middle school in the Monmouth County town of Marlboro will have armed officers on campus.
Some 8,000 students attend the schools, and officials are calling the measure a prevention method. They say it is a step that they felt they needed to take after the tragedy prompted them to revisit school safety and security.
There was already an armed guard outside the high school and another that visited the other schools, but the security will now be a permanent fixture at all three schools.
Many parents have come out in support of the move since it was announced, as did Marlboro Mayor Jonathan Hornik.
"Based on what happened in Newtown, the tragedy up there, we believe we have to revisit our entire security protocol, like many jurisdictions have to do in the country right now," he said.
Not everyone agreed with that sentiment, though.
"I understand the impulse to put guards in schools, but I think in the long run, that's not the message we want to give our kids," resident Joann Angel said. "That the only way they are safe is if people with guns, armed, follow them around...I think the problem is bigger than just putting somebody at the front door."
Officials plan to monitor the new measures to see how they work.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newtown school shooting, new jersey news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 50 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 55 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens 52 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect 24 min ago
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack 16 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 11 min ago
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
50 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos