New Jersey News
Fire tears though apartment complex in North Bergen
NORTH BERGEN -- It took about 100 firefighters several hours Monday to contain a huge early-morning fire at a northern New Jersey housing complex whose residents were still recovering from damage caused by Superstorm Sandy.
Fire officials said no major injuries were reported during the blaze at the Roc Harbour complex in North Bergen.
Firefighters faced icy conditions early Monday as they tried to get water lines to the complex, which is on the waterfront directly across the Hudson River from Manhattan, North Hudson Regional Fire Deputy Chief Charles Thomas said.
Gas lines that had ruptured during the fire had been fueling the blaze until the gas company shut them off, Thomas said. The only injuries reported were minor scrapes from slips and falls, Thomas added.
Robert Merlo, a resident at the Roc Harbour complex, told firefighters that smoke was coming out of his boiler room. Merlo's description of smoke in his boiler room has investigators looking there to see if that is where it started.
Residents were still struggling to recover from Superstorm Sandy, which flooded the area when the Hudson River surged over its banks.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, north bergen, fire, new jersey news
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- AccuWeather Forecast: More Snow On The Way 38 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 55 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto 52 min ago
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment 25 min ago
- Newtown groups open week of 'acts of kindness'
- Joe Torre elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
55 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More Snow On The Way
38 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos