New Jersey News
911 calls released in Leonia police shooting
LEONIA, N.J. (WABC) -- Dramatic 911 calls have been released of a fatal police shooting in New Jersey.
Attorneys for the family of the man who was killed say the calls prove Rickey McFadden did not pose a threat during a robbery.
Dispatcher: He's walking?
Caller: A black male. He's holding a butter knife. He's wearing a blue shirt.
Officer: Any weapons?
Dispatcher: A knife.
Officer: A knife. He has a butter knife.
Caller: I saw the whole thing. The manager did not seem to care too much. But I saw the knife come out and he said to the guy, you think I'm playing or whatever. Your man has a gun on him right now.
Lawyers say the tape proves the manager was not in danger from McFadden when he held up a pharmacy last month in Leonia armed with a butter knife.
McFadden died when cops shot him 17 times.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, police shooting, new jersey news
- Snowstorm moves into New York area 26 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow
- Snow falling on Long Island 53 min ago
- Snow coming down in New York City 46 min ago
- Off-duty officer killed in Queens after crashing into storefront
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- Justin Bieber visits Philippine typhoon victims 35 min ago
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers 47 min ago
- Snow coming down in New York City
46 min ago
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
26 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos