New Jersey News
Cory Booker learns harsh lesson in food stamp challenge
NEWARK, N.J. -- Newark Mayor Cory Booker is learning the hard way the need to plan well when living on a food stamp diet.
On Day 2 of living on the equivalent of food stamps, Booker said on a video posted Wednesday on LinkedIn he forgot to buy caffeine products when he shopped Saturday for his weeklong challenge. So no coffee or caffeinated soda for him for seven days.
Booker says he didn't eat much the first day. He forgot to check his travel schedule and couldn't access his just-under-$30 in food purchases for the week, a few bucks under the maximum he could spend.
The mayor says he quickly learned one must plan meals really carefully on a limited budget.
He recorded the video while eating dinner, a salad with rice and beans. Breakfast Wednesday was salad with chickpeas.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, cory booker, new jersey news
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- NJ Transit trains back on schedule after earlier delays 23 min ago
- Snow coming down in New York City 10 min ago
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow
- Snow falling on Long Island 37 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial 35 min ago
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Port Authority relocating owls that are threat to planes
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service 40 min ago
- Snow coming down in New York City
10 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos