New Jersey News
Cory Booker learns harsh lesson in food stamp challenge
NEWARK, N.J. -- Newark Mayor Cory Booker is learning the hard way the need to plan well when living on a food stamp diet.
On Day 2 of living on the equivalent of food stamps, Booker said on a video posted Wednesday on LinkedIn he forgot to buy caffeine products when he shopped Saturday for his weeklong challenge. So no coffee or caffeinated soda for him for seven days.
Booker says he didn't eat much the first day. He forgot to check his travel schedule and couldn't access his just-under-$30 in food purchases for the week, a few bucks under the maximum he could spend.
The mayor says he quickly learned one must plan meals really carefully on a limited budget.
He recorded the video while eating dinner, a salad with rice and beans. Breakfast Wednesday was salad with chickpeas.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, cory booker, new jersey news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos