New Jersey News
Cory Booker learns harsh lesson in food stamp challenge
NEWARK, N.J. -- Newark Mayor Cory Booker is learning the hard way the need to plan well when living on a food stamp diet.
On Day 2 of living on the equivalent of food stamps, Booker said on a video posted Wednesday on LinkedIn he forgot to buy caffeine products when he shopped Saturday for his weeklong challenge. So no coffee or caffeinated soda for him for seven days.
Booker says he didn't eat much the first day. He forgot to check his travel schedule and couldn't access his just-under-$30 in food purchases for the week, a few bucks under the maximum he could spend.
The mayor says he quickly learned one must plan meals really carefully on a limited budget.
He recorded the video while eating dinner, a salad with rice and beans. Breakfast Wednesday was salad with chickpeas.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, cory booker, new jersey news
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Metro North trains being removed from accident scene
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Sunday's Yankees vs. Jays game postponed due to weather
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- 3 in custody in connection to Yonkers man's death
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- President Obama gives speech to Morehouse graduates
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers