New Jersey News
Cory Booker learns harsh lesson in food stamp challenge
NEWARK, N.J. -- Newark Mayor Cory Booker is learning the hard way the need to plan well when living on a food stamp diet.
On Day 2 of living on the equivalent of food stamps, Booker said on a video posted Wednesday on LinkedIn he forgot to buy caffeine products when he shopped Saturday for his weeklong challenge. So no coffee or caffeinated soda for him for seven days.
Booker says he didn't eat much the first day. He forgot to check his travel schedule and couldn't access his just-under-$30 in food purchases for the week, a few bucks under the maximum he could spend.
The mayor says he quickly learned one must plan meals really carefully on a limited budget.
He recorded the video while eating dinner, a salad with rice and beans. Breakfast Wednesday was salad with chickpeas.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, cory booker, new jersey news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 42 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- 3-year-old boy gets stuck in Nebraska claw machine 37 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos