New Jersey News
Booker criticized after vote at Newark City Council
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- Mayor Cory Booker did again on Wednesday what he did two weeks ago, casting the vote to put his choice, Shanique Davis Speight. She's an educator now on City Council.
The last attempt turned into chaos.
Several people were pepper sprayed by police last month when they tried to block Mayor Cory Booker from appointing a replacement for outgoing Donald Payne, Jr.
The mayor claims he legally stepped in because there weren't enough members in the chamber to vote.
The mayor and the council have agreed to hold a new vote.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, new jersey news, toni yates
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 57 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 21 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Dead cats found in bags hanging from tree in Yonkers 34 min ago
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building 27 min ago
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos