New Jersey News
Booker criticized after vote at Newark City Council
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- Mayor Cory Booker did again on Wednesday what he did two weeks ago, casting the vote to put his choice, Shanique Davis Speight. She's an educator now on City Council.
The last attempt turned into chaos.
Several people were pepper sprayed by police last month when they tried to block Mayor Cory Booker from appointing a replacement for outgoing Donald Payne, Jr.
The mayor claims he legally stepped in because there weren't enough members in the chamber to vote.
The mayor and the council have agreed to hold a new vote.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, new jersey news, toni yates
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 57 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 6 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Good Samaritans rescue woman from burning car
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
57 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos