New Jersey News
Booker criticized after vote at Newark City Council
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- Mayor Cory Booker did again on Wednesday what he did two weeks ago, casting the vote to put his choice, Shanique Davis Speight. She's an educator now on City Council.
The last attempt turned into chaos.
Several people were pepper sprayed by police last month when they tried to block Mayor Cory Booker from appointing a replacement for outgoing Donald Payne, Jr.
The mayor claims he legally stepped in because there weren't enough members in the chamber to vote.
The mayor and the council have agreed to hold a new vote.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, new jersey news, toni yates
- Boy injured in Mount Olive sledding accident 57 min ago
- Still Some Slick Spots! 6 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Off-duty officer killed in Queens after crashing into storefront
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures 40 min ago
- New Jersey gets hit with another dose of snow
- Long Island gets through snow blast 40 min ago
- Bay Shore bandit steals truck with toys for sick kids 31 min ago
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids 5 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Still Some Slick Spots!
6 min ago