New Jersey News
Booker criticized after vote at Newark City Council
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- Mayor Cory Booker did again on Wednesday what he did two weeks ago, casting the vote to put his choice, Shanique Davis Speight. She's an educator now on City Council.
The last attempt turned into chaos.
Several people were pepper sprayed by police last month when they tried to block Mayor Cory Booker from appointing a replacement for outgoing Donald Payne, Jr.
The mayor claims he legally stepped in because there weren't enough members in the chamber to vote.
The mayor and the council have agreed to hold a new vote.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, new jersey news, toni yates
- Mike Woodson out as head coach of Knicks 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security 1 min ago
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Coney Island double stabbing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos