New Jersey News
Fire in Lakewood leaves 1 dead, 8 others displaced
LAKEWOOD, N.J. -- Prosecutors say one man was killed and eight other people were displaced when a fast-moving fire roared through a southern New Jersey home.
But investigators are still trying to determine the cause of the blaze that destroyed the two-story home in Lakewood early Saturday.
Prosecutors tell the Asbury Park Press (http://on.app.com/11wTVuS) that the person killed, identified only as a 41-year-old man, was found inside the home. But his cause of death has not yet been determined.
Authorities say the eight displaced residents - four children, ranging in age from 6 to 13, and four adults - were temporarily staying with friends.
Roughly 55 firefighters battled the blaze, which was reported around 12:45 a.m. It was brought under control about 90 minutes later.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, lakewood, ocean county, fire death, new jersey news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide