New Jersey News
Fire in Lakewood leaves 1 dead, 8 others displaced
LAKEWOOD, N.J. -- Prosecutors say one man was killed and eight other people were displaced when a fast-moving fire roared through a southern New Jersey home.
But investigators are still trying to determine the cause of the blaze that destroyed the two-story home in Lakewood early Saturday.
Prosecutors tell the Asbury Park Press (http://on.app.com/11wTVuS) that the person killed, identified only as a 41-year-old man, was found inside the home. But his cause of death has not yet been determined.
Authorities say the eight displaced residents - four children, ranging in age from 6 to 13, and four adults - were temporarily staying with friends.
Roughly 55 firefighters battled the blaze, which was reported around 12:45 a.m. It was brought under control about 90 minutes later.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, lakewood, ocean county, fire death, new jersey news
- London attack could be terror-related, officials say
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb?
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- FBI shoots man possibly linked to Boston bomb suspects,...
- Hats get women ejected from mall
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark about Tiger
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma