New Jersey News
Fire in Lakewood leaves 1 dead, 8 others displaced
LAKEWOOD, N.J. -- Prosecutors say one man was killed and eight other people were displaced when a fast-moving fire roared through a southern New Jersey home.
But investigators are still trying to determine the cause of the blaze that destroyed the two-story home in Lakewood early Saturday.
Prosecutors tell the Asbury Park Press (http://on.app.com/11wTVuS) that the person killed, identified only as a 41-year-old man, was found inside the home. But his cause of death has not yet been determined.
Authorities say the eight displaced residents - four children, ranging in age from 6 to 13, and four adults - were temporarily staying with friends.
Roughly 55 firefighters battled the blaze, which was reported around 12:45 a.m. It was brought under control about 90 minutes later.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, lakewood, ocean county, fire death, new jersey news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster