New Jersey News
Fire in Lakewood leaves 1 dead, 8 others displaced
LAKEWOOD, N.J. -- Prosecutors say one man was killed and eight other people were displaced when a fast-moving fire roared through a southern New Jersey home.
But investigators are still trying to determine the cause of the blaze that destroyed the two-story home in Lakewood early Saturday.
Prosecutors tell the Asbury Park Press (http://on.app.com/11wTVuS) that the person killed, identified only as a 41-year-old man, was found inside the home. But his cause of death has not yet been determined.
Authorities say the eight displaced residents - four children, ranging in age from 6 to 13, and four adults - were temporarily staying with friends.
Roughly 55 firefighters battled the blaze, which was reported around 12:45 a.m. It was brought under control about 90 minutes later.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, lakewood, ocean county, fire death, new jersey news
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 31 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos