New Jersey News

Seaside coaster submerged by Sandy will be removed

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The roller coaster swept off the amusement pier in Seaside Heights by Superstorm Sandy won't remain as a tourist attraction partially submerged in the ocean.

Seaside Heights Mayor Bill Akers tells the Asbury Park Press the town and the owners of the Casino Pier are in talks to remove what remains of the Jet Star Roller Coaster.

The mayor last week told a TV station that the coaster would make a "great tourist attraction." But the mayor now says that "was not the brightest comment."

Casino Pier officials say they are still assessing the damage.

The mayor says construction of a new boardwalk should begin in January and be ready by Memorial Day.

---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered

Facebook | Twitter | Newsletters | Text Alerts

(Copyright ©2014 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more New Jersey News »


Tags:
new jersey, seaside heights, jersey shore, hurricane, hurricane sandy, new jersey news
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement