Long Island News
Long Island firefighter killed in hunting accident
WESTFORD (WABC) -- A Long Island man accused of accidentally shooting a local firefighter during a hunting trip over the weekend could face homicide charges.
Charles Bruce, 52, of the Malverne Fire Department was killed after one of his friends mistook him for a deer.
The deadly accident happened in the woods outside the town of Westford in Otsego County just before 10:30 Saturday morning.
Police have not yet released the identity of the shooter, but we know he is a retired member of the Malverne Fire Department.
The district attorney of upstate Otsego County says while he does not believe the shooter meant to kill Bruce, he will be looking into whether to charge him with reckless or negligent homicide.
Bruce was a member of the Malverne Fire Department for 17 years.
He leaves behind two grown children.
Funeral arrangements are still being planned.
Regular deer hunting season started in New York's southern zone at dawn Saturday.
long island news, long island, malverne, shooting, long island news
- LIRR restored with delays after person struck 9 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash 21 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt 57 min ago
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NYC home invasion robbery suspects caught on camera 40 min ago
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody 3 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat 24 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn;...
57 min ago