Long Island News
Long Island firefighter killed in hunting accident
WESTFORD (WABC) -- A Long Island man accused of accidentally shooting a local firefighter during a hunting trip over the weekend could face homicide charges.
Charles Bruce, 52, of the Malverne Fire Department was killed after one of his friends mistook him for a deer.
The deadly accident happened in the woods outside the town of Westford in Otsego County just before 10:30 Saturday morning.
Police have not yet released the identity of the shooter, but we know he is a retired member of the Malverne Fire Department.
The district attorney of upstate Otsego County says while he does not believe the shooter meant to kill Bruce, he will be looking into whether to charge him with reckless or negligent homicide.
Bruce was a member of the Malverne Fire Department for 17 years.
He leaves behind two grown children.
Funeral arrangements are still being planned.
Regular deer hunting season started in New York's southern zone at dawn Saturday.
long island news, long island, malverne, shooting, long island news
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 33 min ago
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
33 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos