Long Island News
Alligator found in Islip home
ISLIP -- Authorities say a 13-inch alligator has been found in a home in Islip, Long Island.
Police spotted the alligator in a tank Friday when they were in the home on an unrelated matter.
It is the 20th alligator found on Long Island in the past year.
The Suffolk County SPCA and the New York state Department of Environmental Conservation responded and confiscated the animal.
It is illegal to own an alligator in New York state. The owners of the alligator found in Islip could be fined.
The Suffolk SPCA hosted a reptile amnesty program in September where people could turn their illegal pets in without facing charges.
SPCA Chief Roy Gross says the alligator found Friday was in good health. It will be sent to a safe location such as an animal sanctuary.
long island news, long island, islip, animals, long island news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 47 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 28 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 18 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 59 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
47 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos