Long Island News
Alligator found in Islip home
ISLIP -- Authorities say a 13-inch alligator has been found in a home in Islip, Long Island.
Police spotted the alligator in a tank Friday when they were in the home on an unrelated matter.
It is the 20th alligator found on Long Island in the past year.
The Suffolk County SPCA and the New York state Department of Environmental Conservation responded and confiscated the animal.
It is illegal to own an alligator in New York state. The owners of the alligator found in Islip could be fined.
The Suffolk SPCA hosted a reptile amnesty program in September where people could turn their illegal pets in without facing charges.
SPCA Chief Roy Gross says the alligator found Friday was in good health. It will be sent to a safe location such as an animal sanctuary.
long island news, long island, islip, animals, long island news
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85 1 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos