Long Island News
Construction may have led to North Merrick fire
NORTH MERRICK, N.Y. (WABC) -- Construction work on a house may have sparked fire that destroyed a home on Long Island.
It happened on Sutton Place in North Merrick Tuesday afternoon.
The house was ravaged by fire over a few hours.
Roofers were working at the home at the time of the fire.
The intense fire burned very quickly and was burning in the basement as well as on the roof, and eventually devastated the entire home.
Investigators are trying to figure out where it started and why it started.
The homeowner was inside the house at the time of the fire and said that the roofer wanted to see something in the basement and see the breaker box.
She says she led him downstairs and saw the smoke.
"The minute I get in the stairway, I see smoke, all over! And I say, 'What is this?' You know, and I called the fire department and they came right away, but can they save the house? I don't think so," said Denise Reme, the homeowner.
"It's a big loss, everything is lost," Said Jean Reme, the homeowner.
They have lived in the home for 20 years, raised kids in the house, and survived Superstorm Sandy with hardly any problems. But now, their home is destroyed.
long island news, long island, fire, long island news, josh einiger
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation