Long Island News
Parents say homeless students an issue in Hauppauge
HAUPPAUGE, N.Y. (WABC) -- Parents on Long Island are not happy that children who live in a homeless shelter are going to their children's school.
They say students weren't enrolled in other schools in the district.
The district says it has to do with enrollment.
"We welcome them, we all want to work together, we want to make it work," a parent said.
But parents of students at Forest Brook Elementary in Smithtown say what's happening now is not working.
10 homeless children were enrolled in the school this year.
Parents say nothing was put into place to deal with the behavior issues that have come up.
"We've had punching, biting, we've had teachers that have had to wrestle kids to the ground and these things are happening in front of kids that are here all the time," said Maureen Arasmo, a parent.
"It's frustrating when you go to the Board of Ed meeting and everyone says, 'We don't have a plan, we don't have a plan,'" said Theresa Crafa, a parent.
Some parents say they also don't understand why all 10 children, and the responsibility, weren't spread throughout the district's elementary schools.
"It's not about the residents not wanting the kids to get an education, it's about not wanting them all concentrated in the one school," said Judith Olaechea, a parent.
In a statement to Eyewitness News, the superintendent of the Hauppauge School District said, "The placement of these students was made based upon enrollment in our elementary schools as it relates to class size and the availability of support services for our students."
"There was nothing put in place ahead of time to handle what we were getting," Arasmo said.
A local legislator says he's trying to set up a meeting with parents there and federal officials who are used to dealing with these types of situations.
long island news, long island, homeless, hauppauge, long island news, kristin thorne
- School bus overturns in Brooklyn; 5 hurt 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman 11 min ago
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 30 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 56 min ago
- Malaysian plane mystery continues 8 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 39 min ago
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store 12 min ago
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident 6 min ago
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
30 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
39 min ago