Long Island News
4 charged in Long Island hate crime beating
BABYLON, New York (WABC) -- Suffolk County Police have arrested four people after they assaulted two men while using slurs based on sexual orientation in Babylon over the weekend.
Police say four people were walking early in the morning when they asked two men for directions to the train station. According to police, the four suspects then punched, kicked and shoved the victims while using slurs based on their assumptions of the victims' sexual orientation.
A witness to the alleged crime called police.
The suspects, all from Oceanside are identified as 20-year old Gregory Gilbert, 18-year-old Shane Buckley, 18-year old Nicholas Battaglia and 17-year old Justin Buckley.
They are charged with multiple crimes including hate crime assaults.
The victims were transported to the hospital where one was treated and released and the other remains in serious condition.
long island, long island news
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 10 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 32 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
21 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos