Long Island News
4 charged in Long Island hate crime beating
BABYLON, New York (WABC) -- Suffolk County Police have arrested four people after they assaulted two men while using slurs based on sexual orientation in Babylon over the weekend.
Police say four people were walking early in the morning when they asked two men for directions to the train station. According to police, the four suspects then punched, kicked and shoved the victims while using slurs based on their assumptions of the victims' sexual orientation.
A witness to the alleged crime called police.
The suspects, all from Oceanside are identified as 20-year old Gregory Gilbert, 18-year-old Shane Buckley, 18-year old Nicholas Battaglia and 17-year old Justin Buckley.
They are charged with multiple crimes including hate crime assaults.
The victims were transported to the hospital where one was treated and released and the other remains in serious condition.
long island, long island news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 54 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
54 min ago