Long Island News
Yaphank car crash leaves 1 dead, 4 injured
YAPHANK, N.Y. -- Police say a car veered out of control and hit two oncoming vehicles on a Long Island road, killing a woman and injuring four other people.
Suffolk County police say Christopher Torres was driving his 2008 Nissan west on Horseblock Road in Yaphank when he lost control of the car around 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
The car crossed into the eastbound lane near Yaphank Avenue and hit a van and another car.
A passenger in Torres' car died at the scene. She was 22-year-old Kaitlyn Dougherty of Medford.
Police say Torres is hospitalized in critical condition. He's 23 and from Nesconset.
The drivers of the other vehicles are being treated for non-life-threatening injuries. So is a passenger from one of those cars.
Police are investigating what caused the wreck.
long island, yaphank, accident, long island news
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island 4 min ago
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says 11 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos