Long Island News
Yaphank car crash leaves 1 dead, 4 injured
YAPHANK, N.Y. -- Police say a car veered out of control and hit two oncoming vehicles on a Long Island road, killing a woman and injuring four other people.
Suffolk County police say Christopher Torres was driving his 2008 Nissan west on Horseblock Road in Yaphank when he lost control of the car around 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
The car crossed into the eastbound lane near Yaphank Avenue and hit a van and another car.
A passenger in Torres' car died at the scene. She was 22-year-old Kaitlyn Dougherty of Medford.
Police say Torres is hospitalized in critical condition. He's 23 and from Nesconset.
The drivers of the other vehicles are being treated for non-life-threatening injuries. So is a passenger from one of those cars.
Police are investigating what caused the wreck.
long island, yaphank, accident, long island news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees