Long Island News
Long Island man charged with DWI after car slams into home
GLEN COVE (WABC) -- A Long Island man is charged drunk driving after he allegedly crashed his car into a home early Tuesday.
Police say 41-year-old Ricardo Medina-Baez, of Long Beach, is hospitalized after slamming into the home on Glen Cove Avenue and University Place in Glen Cove around 1 a.m.
The car then burst into flames, scorching the side of the home.
The extent of Medina-Baez' injuries wasn't immediately known.
An elderly woman who lived in the home was awakened by the crash, smelled the smoke and was able to escape without injury.
The vehicle was impounded.
Medina-Baez was charged with driving while intoxicated and will be arraigned as soon as medically practical.
long island, glen cove, accident, long island news
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD commisioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later 2 min ago
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre 7 min ago
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest
- Freeze takes an icy grip on much of the nation
- Bob Dylan's Newport electric guitar for sale 58 min ago