Long Island News
Reptile amnesty event held on Long Island
SMITHTOWN (WABC) -- They may seem like interesting pets, but many owners end up discovering theyr'e too much to handle.
Saturday, anyone with an illegal reptile or amphibian had a chance to surrender it to authorities without being punished.
The Suffolk County SPCA held an amnesty event at the Sweetbriar Nature Center in Smithtown.
An illegal alligator was brought in.
The center also accepted a snapping turtle and a Greek tortoise, even though they are legal to own.
long island, long island news
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- VIDEO: Obama remembers Mandela
- Reaction to death of Nelson Mandela
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Who is Bill Bratton?
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Carteret freight train derailment: Turnpike reopens
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos