Long Island News
Reptile amnesty event held on Long Island
SMITHTOWN (WABC) -- They may seem like interesting pets, but many owners end up discovering theyr'e too much to handle.
Saturday, anyone with an illegal reptile or amphibian had a chance to surrender it to authorities without being punished.
The Suffolk County SPCA held an amnesty event at the Sweetbriar Nature Center in Smithtown.
An illegal alligator was brought in.
The center also accepted a snapping turtle and a Greek tortoise, even though they are legal to own.
long island, long island news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments