Long Island News
Reptile amnesty event held on Long Island
SMITHTOWN (WABC) -- They may seem like interesting pets, but many owners end up discovering theyr'e too much to handle.
Saturday, anyone with an illegal reptile or amphibian had a chance to surrender it to authorities without being punished.
The Suffolk County SPCA held an amnesty event at the Sweetbriar Nature Center in Smithtown.
An illegal alligator was brought in.
The center also accepted a snapping turtle and a Greek tortoise, even though they are legal to own.
long island, long island news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control 52 min ago
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner 41 min ago
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead 9 min ago
- Photos: Stolen jewelry items in Ramsey robbery