Long Island News
Reptile amnesty event held on Long Island
SMITHTOWN (WABC) -- They may seem like interesting pets, but many owners end up discovering theyr'e too much to handle.
Saturday, anyone with an illegal reptile or amphibian had a chance to surrender it to authorities without being punished.
The Suffolk County SPCA held an amnesty event at the Sweetbriar Nature Center in Smithtown.
An illegal alligator was brought in.
The center also accepted a snapping turtle and a Greek tortoise, even though they are legal to own.
long island, long island news
- Fire tears through Carlstadt post office 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 41 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire 15 min ago
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
41 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos