Long Island News
Investigators looking into fatal Long Island glider crash
Sunday, April 28, 2013
SHIRLEY (WABC) -- The National Transportation Safety Board is on the scene of a crash of a small glider on Long Island Saturday that killed a pilot.According to Suffolk County Police, the flight left Brookhaven Calabro Airport at 10:54 a.m., and crashed 11 minutes later. NTSB spokesman Eric Weiss says eyewitnesses described the Schweizer SGS glider descending before rolling to the left and crashing into the ground. Weiss says an NTSB investigator is on the scene in Shirley, and will have a full report in 10 days. The victim has been identified ast 74-year old Vincent Petruso of Center Moriches. No one else was on board, and there were no other injuries.
(Copyright ©2013 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
long island, plane crash, shirley, suffolk county, brookhaven, long island news
- Newtown 911 calls released 34 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze' 28 min ago
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs 2 min ago
- Woman charged with setting minivan fire, kids inside
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen... 40 min ago
- Parents plea for help to save boys from rare disease 44 min ago
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
28 min ago
- Bank forecloses on homeowner who is up to...
50 min ago
Eyewitness News Links