Long Island News
Dozens of cats, dog found in condemned Central Islip home
CENTRAL ISLIP (WABC) -- Authorities were in the process Friday of removing scores of animals discovered inside a condemned house on Long Island.
Police were tipped off by a phone call about the house, on Bayonne Avenue in Central Islip, Suffolk County.
Responding officers and firefighters were shocked at what they found -- a crumbling home with no electricity, running water or sanitation, occupied by dozens of cats and a sickly elderly woman.
The site has been deemed a bio-hazard, because one of the byproducts of cat urine is ammonia, and it is unapproachable without a breathing apparatus.
The woman, identified as Rosemary Kobylak, was taken to the hospital against her will.
Firefighters, HazMat teams and Animal Control officers are in the process of removing the animals, at least 46 cats and one dog, one by one.
Neighbors routinely brought the woman food and water, but someone called 911 Friday morning after reporting that Kobylak appeared ill.
Given the conditions, authorities told Eyewitness News reporter NJ Burkett that it was amazing she is even alive it all.
Islip town officials say the house has at least a dozen outstanding code violations and that they've been in and out of court. The house was condemned a year ago, but Kobylak apparently ignored the vacate order.
"This house was deemed uninhabitable to live in, and yet she continued to come back to the house," Islip town spokeswoman Inez Birbiglia said. "And what you're seeing as a result today is many animals living in a house, and it's just deplorable."
Kobylak's condition is unknown at this time.
long island, central islip, animal hoarding, animals, long island news
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam 49 min ago
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 50 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap 8 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day...
46 min ago
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
49 min ago
- Man who took video explains high school fued
41 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos