Long Island News
Freeport principal fired over sex crime charges, false fingerprints
FREEPORT (WABC) -- A Long Island principal facing sex crime charges has been fired in a unanimous decision by the Freeport Board of Education.
The firing came five weeks after John O'Mard was arrested for allegedly having sex with that 16-year-old boy who graduated from the The J.W. Dodd Middle School, where he worked.
School board officials say they've learned O'Mard already had a criminal record that he hid by submitting fake fingerprints during a background check in 2003.
O'Mard, who served almost year in jail after a 1990 conviction for grand larceny and a 1987 petty larceny conviction, faces up to 4 years in prison if convicted on the new charges.
Police say O'Mard met the 16-year-old boy online in September.
long island, freeport, sex abuse, long island news
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos 21 min ago
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures 21 min ago
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- NJ Transit trains back on schedule after earlier delays
- Snow coming down in New York City 9 min ago
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow 6 min ago
- Snow falling on Long Island
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Driver killed in Queens after crashing into storefront 35 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Snow coming down in New York City
9 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos