Long Island News
Man stumbles upon 4 alligators on Long Island
CALVERTON, N.Y. (WABC) -- It seems that someone thought these alligators would make good companions.
Animal rescue officials believe someone dumped four of them into an inlet in Manorville.
"Unfortunately one of them didn't make it,"
American Alligators can grow to more than 15 feet, but they cannot survive in the cold water of Long Island.
That's why experts think someone ditched them just recently until they were stumbled upon a few days ago.
"They would not have survived if they were released weeks or months ago," Todd Gardner of Long Island Aquarium said.
They're now recovering at the Long Island Aquarium. They may eventually become part of a new alligator exhibit set to open this summer. That idea came up this past fall when more alligators were *rescued from around the island.
Clearly, people have been keeping them as pets, which is illegal in the state of New York -- and then realizing.
"They eat a lot of food. They get more dangerous. They make a huge mess. They make a terrible smell when their tanks starts to get dirty and it dawns on them what a terrible idea it was to keep an alligator," Gardner said.
To make sure this stops happening, the Suffolk County SPCA is hosting an amnesty day this Saturday in Smithtown. People can bring their unlicensed reptiles and amphibians. No questions asked.
long island, animals, calverton, long island news, kristin thorne
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead 44 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend 55 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg 30 min ago
- Bratton to join Sharpton at rally in Harlem 1 min ago
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
44 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
55 min ago