Long Island News
California man wheerchairs across US to Long Island
WEST HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- A California man is on his way to Long Island for his 25th high school reunion, but he's not getting to the east coast by bus, train or plane. Instead, he's taking his own set of wheels.
Santa Monica resident Gabriel Cordell is rolling across the country in his wheelchair, headed to West Hempstead.
The 42-year-old paraplegic, who was left disabled after a car accident 20 years ago, departed from the Burbank YMCA Tuesday morning.
He says his journey is a dream come true.
"I want to inspire and affect people," he said. "I want to be able to show everyone that no matter what their circumstances are, if they put their mind to something, they can accomplish it, no matter what anyone says to them."
Cordell says he plans to travel about 50 miles a day on his wheelchair. His entire trip is 3,300 miles.
He will be accompanied by a camera crew that's making a documentary film about his journey.
long island, hempstead, long island news
- LIRR suspended between Huntington, Hicksville 35 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 59 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt 22 min ago
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 32 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NYC home invasion robbery suspects caught on camera 5 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures 55 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn;...
22 min ago