Long Island News
California man wheerchairs across US to Long Island
WEST HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- A California man is on his way to Long Island for his 25th high school reunion, but he's not getting to the east coast by bus, train or plane. Instead, he's taking his own set of wheels.
Santa Monica resident Gabriel Cordell is rolling across the country in his wheelchair, headed to West Hempstead.
The 42-year-old paraplegic, who was left disabled after a car accident 20 years ago, departed from the Burbank YMCA Tuesday morning.
He says his journey is a dream come true.
"I want to inspire and affect people," he said. "I want to be able to show everyone that no matter what their circumstances are, if they put their mind to something, they can accomplish it, no matter what anyone says to them."
Cordell says he plans to travel about 50 miles a day on his wheelchair. His entire trip is 3,300 miles.
He will be accompanied by a camera crew that's making a documentary film about his journey.
long island, hempstead, long island news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 45 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 50 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens 47 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect 19 min ago
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack 11 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 6 min ago
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
45 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos