Long Island News
Sentencing day for killer in Long Island double murder
RIVERHEAD (WABC) -- A Long Island man who killed his ex-girlfriend and her little boy will find out his sentence Wednesday.
Jerry Lewis is expected to receive 30 years to life in prison as part of a plea deal.
"The defendant is guilty of two horrific homicides, and this office will recommend the maximum sentence of life in prison without parole," Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota said.
In February, Lewis admitted he stabbed 21-year-old Shakeela Planter to death a week before Christmas in 2011.
He then fatally beat her 2-year-old son Jaiden, wrapped the boy's body in plastic and put him in the freezer of Planter's Bay Shore apartment.
Lewis was arrested in Laurel, Maryland, on Christmas Eve in 2011, when he turned himself in to police.
Lewis suspected Planter of dating other men.
long island, bay shore, murder, long island news
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 4 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 26 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
15 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos