Long Island News
Sentencing day for killer in Long Island double murder
RIVERHEAD (WABC) -- A Long Island man who killed his ex-girlfriend and her little boy will find out his sentence Wednesday.
Jerry Lewis is expected to receive 30 years to life in prison as part of a plea deal.
"The defendant is guilty of two horrific homicides, and this office will recommend the maximum sentence of life in prison without parole," Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota said.
In February, Lewis admitted he stabbed 21-year-old Shakeela Planter to death a week before Christmas in 2011.
He then fatally beat her 2-year-old son Jaiden, wrapped the boy's body in plastic and put him in the freezer of Planter's Bay Shore apartment.
Lewis was arrested in Laurel, Maryland, on Christmas Eve in 2011, when he turned himself in to police.
Lewis suspected Planter of dating other men.
long island, bay shore, murder, long island news
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold 54 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
54 min ago