Long Island News
Sentencing day for killer in Long Island double murder
RIVERHEAD (WABC) -- A Long Island man who killed his ex-girlfriend and her little boy will find out his sentence Wednesday.
Jerry Lewis is expected to receive 30 years to life in prison as part of a plea deal.
"The defendant is guilty of two horrific homicides, and this office will recommend the maximum sentence of life in prison without parole," Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota said.
In February, Lewis admitted he stabbed 21-year-old Shakeela Planter to death a week before Christmas in 2011.
He then fatally beat her 2-year-old son Jaiden, wrapped the boy's body in plastic and put him in the freezer of Planter's Bay Shore apartment.
Lewis was arrested in Laurel, Maryland, on Christmas Eve in 2011, when he turned himself in to police.
Lewis suspected Planter of dating other men.
long island, bay shore, murder, long island news
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay 10 min ago
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms 26 min ago
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms
26 min ago